Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

3/2/08

God Speaks: What Say You? (poem)

God Speaks: What Say You?
by Anthony Trendl

Two lips gathered, whispered –
spoke mighty words:
I am.

One voice ached, uttered –
shouted heavy words:
It is finished.

One voice exclaimed, sang –
announced joyous words:
He is Risen.

One God called, gestured –
pressed the hardest words:
Come, follow me.

One man replied, pursued –
followed with obedient words:
Here I am, Lord.

"Here I am, Lord." That's a rephrase of I Samuel 10 (based on the surrounding chapter):
Then the LORD came and stood and called as at other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel said, "Speak, for Your servant is listening."
Easier written than done, I must add. I grew up singing Dan Schutte's song (below) having no idea what this meant. Older now, I am daunted. The one simple response requires everything that I am to say it honestly, and then, even more to live it out.

Here I am, Lord
by Dan Schutte

Here I am, Lord
I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save.
I who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?
Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people's pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my Word to them.
Whom shall I send?

I the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.
Finest bread I will provide
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?
Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

Below is the song sung by John Michael Talbot:

Post a Comment