Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

4/10/08

American Idol Waters Down 'Shout to the Lord' - Modern Christian Praise Song

American Idol - Idol Gives Back

Like many Christians, part of me was cheering as I sat in my living room hearing the idols sing "Shout to the Lord." A closer listen shows though the lyrics were changed. Below is the video and then the lyrics in the familiar Zschech Darlene version (Hillsong Australia).

While the American Idol people no doubt watered down a beautiful song because of fear that they have promoted Christianity, they indirectly have.

I suspect a few of the singers knew the original, while others are listening to it as cheesy nonsense. As sung on American Idol, it is just that: cheese.

In the original, it is a praise song to Jesus Christ. No other. Not some generic 'lord'. Offensive to only those who do not know Him, and a sweet name to all who do. Catholics often sing this song, protestants of all flavors do as well.

What good can come of this?
Two things: hopefully as this issue gets blogged and discussed, people will think more about what they sing Sunday mornings. Does it mean anything? Secondly, Zschech Darlene and related artists (Don Moen, for example) will see a spike in sales. The real songs will get into the hands of more people.

There is no escaping the fact that many of our treasured songs are based on Christianity: "Amazing Grace," "Silent Night," "Be Thou My Vision," "How Great Thou Art." While "Shout to the Lord," has yet to show the staying power of those classics, it is popularly sung in churches around the world. While the defunct moral character of music sung by Nelly Furtado and Fergie will no doubt continue, people keep returning to songs in which God's holy character is exalted.



Darlene Zschech, Ron Kenoly, Alvin Slaughter version




My Jesus, My Savior
Lord there is none like you
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of your mighty love
My Comfort, My Shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship you

(Chorus)

Shout to the Lord, all the earth
Let us sing. Power and majesty, praise to the King.
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of your name
I sing for joy at the work of your hands
Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in
YOU!

(Chorus)

My Jesus, My Savior
Lord there is none like you
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of your mighty love
My Comfort, My Shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship you

(Chorus)

Shout to the Lord, all the earth
Let us sing. Power and majesty, praise to the King.
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of your name
I sing for joy at the work of your hands
Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in
YOU!

(Bridge)

Let the earth sing
I declare your great name
All of my life I will
With all of my breath
I will praise you
Lift it up, life it up

(Chorus)

Nothing compares to you
I shout your praise
Nothing compares to you
Nothing compares to the promise I have in you!

See an update regarding the April 10 edition of American Idol: American Idol Includes Jesus 'Shout to the Lord' - Modern Christian Praise Song
Post a Comment