Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

7/1/08

25 Pages of Interesting Ideas, But 103 Pages Too Long (review: No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog)

In No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog by Margaret Mason, we get as advertised.

I blog a lot, on everything from running to Hungarian recipes, as well as my thoughts on life. Arguably, my blogs are like 99% of the ones which are out there. Except, rarely is my lunch discussed. I tossed my lunch, if you will.

The audience is the new blogger who is not a writer by trade. My friend who is chronicling his weight loss adventure in a blog, brand-new to blogging in general, might find this modestly useful before he quickly graduates into veteran status.

Was there anything I could learn?

Yes. Two things. One: I'm on the right track. Two: Anything, but lunch, goes. Pardon me. 2.5 things. The point five is that there is not much here for experienced writers and bloggers.

Anything goes? Which parts of anything? All of them.
* Hobbies (that would be my running blog, but could be your praying mantis kit).
* Food (that's my Hungarian recipe blog, but could be your ice cream tasting blog)
* Books (my personal blog does a lot of this, with reviews just like this one, but could be about bookbinding too)

Where the book runs aground is its self-indulgence. 128 pages? Why not 25? It is laid out like a bathroom book, with more white space than is needed. I read it in two hours. I was lucky enough to borrow my copy from a library, and recommend you do likewise.

The veteran blogger will gain a thing or two from reading other blogs, and richer books like Blogging For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)). Not here.

Anthony Trendl
AnthonyTrendl.blogspot.com
Post a Comment