Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

7/13/08

My Church is Closing (Is Yours? Yes.)


Today -- this morning -- is the last Sunday service for my church after 75+ years in one location. We have built a new locale, and will be there next Sunday.

It occurred to me, "What if our church was closing entirely?" and "What if the world was expected to blow up, what would be the last sermon, the last hymn sung?"

Eventually, something like this will be true. No, no, this is not a lesson in eschatology.

Amazing Grace? Or, some other hymn? Some new thing by the most modern of musicians, or something more Jewish, one closer to the sound Jesus Christ Himself may have sung?

Whatever song, whatever sermon, the penultimate phrase would be "Amen." The last phrase on Earth would be, "Hi Jesus, I am so glad to see you. I've been waiting."
Post a Comment