Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

8/19/08

Worth Repeating: Politics in a Box: Why I Am Not a Republican, Why I Am Not a Democrat

Most of this post is a rerun, edited somewhat the highlight the more important and current concerns.

A reader of a recent post suggested she knew my bias, but, if anything, I am realizing more and more my dissatisfaction with both Barack Obama and John McCain. One is supported by NARAL (the leading abortion rights group) while the other supports cell stem research beyond the degree I am comfortable with.

No matter how much I enjoy listening to a Barack Obama speech, I cannot get beyond his ardent support of abortion rights.

As much as I am convinced John McCain's experience is fundamentally more substantive than Barack Obama's, he is part of the "establishment." You know the Generation X catch-phrase, "Trust no one over 47." Seriously, he knows how to get things done, but at what cost?

Idealism or experience? That's not the choice I will be making in November.

My question: Who will lead our country best, following closest what I believe morally, ethically, making decisions that will protect my country? Right now, I have no good choice.

A number of readers of my blogs wonder where I stand politically. I have managed to incense supporters of both parties. Readers of my more political posts wonder, and for good reason. I argue for and against their capacities.

I will not put politics in a box. You might say I'm nondenominational. I'm not independent exactly, as I probably will never vote for a third party candidate in the presidential election. I can't find a good reason to. The old idea that it is throwing away a vote makes sense. Yet, I am not registered as a member of either the Republican or Democrat Party.

All candidates disappoint me. None meet my needs, and so whomever gets my vote will be second best. I have written in support of candidates that later showed me I was too quick to endorse, and likely will again.

If one really excited me, I think it would only be giving too much trust in government. I am not cynical, but no man or woman will solve society's troubles. No party, even one I entirely agree with, can do that job.

I am prolife (more on this).
  • That means simply I think aborting unborn children is wrong, and that women or men making the decision to do that are killing a child.
  • It also means I think killing inmates is equally wrong, and that the judge or jury, as well as doctors and guards involved in moving that inmate toward death are wrong. They are willfully killing.
  • One of the greatest ills of society in America has been done by Planned Parenthood, which has sugar coated abortion, and naive, but well-meaning women have ended up choosing to kill their baby with Planned Parenthood's knives and poisons.
I am fiscally conservative.

  • Don't ask me for financial advice. Not my speciality. However, I think debt is a bad idea, we should pay for what we buy, and we should work toward a stable economy. I doubt I'll get disagreement there. I don't like taxes, but who does? Necessary evil, but we should avoid getting the government paying for too much. That is, we need to pay taxes to pay for essentials, but there a lot of non-essentials.
I am mixed about welfare.

  • So many people are not born with money, or have the capacity to make much money. Children suffer from parents who are lazy, but also from having parents who struggle with physical and psychological problems. We must care for these people.
  • Those of us in a position to help individuals should. Hire, teach, give, whatever. Those of us with more to give should also give to good organizations doing good things in this category. This can reduce the government's need to help.
  • So, you could say I don't want a nanny state, but, likewise, I don't want a nanny church. I hear, "The Church should help." Yes, they should, but if we ourselves are not helping who we can, asking the government or Church to step in is not right.
  • This is based partly on theology, partly on experience. There's eight years of working with jail and prison inmates and homeless individuals, living in the tougher part of town, getting to know gang members, murderers as well as the guy who made one bad decision but is at his core a good man. I saw the everyday issues, not merely sociology class theory. My beliefs are not based though on a social gospel, but a Christ-centered Gospel that includes loving my neighbor.

What else?

  • I don't think the government should tell us who counts as married. Am I for gay marriages? Perhaps in the secular sense, I don't care. As a Christian, that's another matter. What a judge does matters to the government. What my church does matters to me.
  • I think Islamic terrorism is here to stay, and we need to be proactive in solving this problem of hate.
  • I am not pro-war, but, I think we must aggressively pursue Osama bin Laden, and all other terrorist leaders. As prolife as I am, I think it is consistent to stop them by killing them if necessary. One captured, though, no matter how guilty, we should not kill even bin Laden.

Politics are part of life, and imperfection is part of politics. There is nothing to lose sleep over, or endure angst as a result. The problems with each candidate are plenty, and too many now to type, so, for now, this'll be enough.

Post a Comment