Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

3/10/09

Disappointed - Sniveling Franky Schaeffer

I just read "Addicted to Mediocrity: Contemporary Christians and the Arts," by Franky Schaeffer. A full review is on the way, but it will be hard to write. I had hoped to read a book pointing the way to be a better artist writing on behalf, and for the glory of Jesus Christ. Instead, I read a sniveling, whining, bitter book.

Good points exist, and I will get into those as well, but, I read a book filled with kitschy op-ed style cartoons circa 1974 (it is a 1981 book), repetitive ideas, I read a book complaining about art, while demonstrating none of it.

Schaeffer correctly points out strengths of Renaissance painters, but romanticizes them, and ignores the greater challenges of art in the day. He forgets the economic realities of art, both then and now.

Sorry, Franky, but whatever you were going through 30 years ago came through likely like a lonely fan boys' snarky Star Trek website. You had a chance to lead a artistic horse to living water, but you decided not to think.

Addicted to Mediocrity: Contemporary Christians and the Arts

Post a Comment