Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

5/4/09

Pete Seeger Sings Amazing Grace at 90th Birthday Party

Pete Seeger at his 90th birthday party, leading the crowd through 'Amazing Grace'.

It seems the audience does not know the words, and Seeger is forced to walk them through each line.


Where Have All The Flowers Gone: The Songs Of Pete Seeger




You'll hear your favorites on this album, and you'll hear songs new to you that will blow you away.

Besides being a collection of songs honoring Seeger, these are wonderful on their own. Re-release these as singles, and they will be hits in the folk-music circles, and could hold their own on some more popular stations (like Chicago's WXRT).

For me, I loved Studs Terkel reading "Blessed Be the Nation," Jackson Browne/Bonnie Raitt singing, "Kisses Sweeter than Wine," and the deeply haunting "My Father's Mansion" as sung by Billy Bragg and Eliza Carthy in a celtic flavor.

Hearing Donovan's version of "My Rainbow Race" was refreshing, and Dick Gaughan's dramatic rendering of "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy" knocked my socks off. Surprising me was Tim Robbins' "All My Children of the Sun." So he can sing, too? Amazing.

Listen to Greg Brown singing "Sailing Down My Golden River." He has a Johnny Cash thing going on when he sings it, don't you think? Check it out. Very cool.

There are others, some 39 songs in all, and each I honestly liked. No duds, no "why did they put that on the album" songs.

I fully recommend this album.

Anthony Trendl
Post a Comment