Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

8/24/09

What Bugs Me Most? Three Books on Some Favorite Insects

Insects: Revised and Updated (A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press)

Spiders and Their Kin (A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press)

Butterflies and Moths (A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press)

Few books have given me more pleasure than these three. Boyhood is wrapped up in them, especially "Spiders" and "Butterflies and Moths" The prairie and creek near where I grew up, as well as a small farm, and the woods just two miles to the southeast, left me with plenty of opportunity catch butterflies, watch daddy long legs, and wonder if the walking stick would really walk.

Not exhaustive, but these guides each covered what I was likely to see. At eight years old, this offered me more than enough information.

The pages are crisp with age. It has been 25 or more years since they have seen the light of day, but when treasure hunting in my old bedroom, they shot out at me into my hands. I can't stop smiling when I see them, thinking of all the evenings in my bedroom reading, and the days playing, hoping to apply this vast knowledge of insects and spiders.

The prairie and farm I used to frequent have been subdivided. You might still see my initials carved in the concrete curb at 125th Street if it hasn't worn away where the old Pruim Farm connected just east of Moody Avenue, where my neighborhood began.

The woods are still there, but many of the insects and fauna are gone. The grand burnt orange monarchs are less common, just as the milkweed their larva feed on has all but disappeared. Cabbage moths are hard to find because no one is growing cabbage; backyard gardening has been replaced by trips to hip grocery stores. A good looking orb spider's web can be found here and there (mostly araneus'), but the cool looking black and yellow argiopes are nowhere to be found. There are too many brooms sweeping away at their exquisite homes.

Now, I'm wondering what I can find in my backyard here.

(see my review of a similar book on reptiles)

Insects: Revised and Updated (A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press)



Spiders and Their Kin (A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press)



Butterflies and Moths (A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press)


Post a Comment