Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

9/4/09

What Book Should I Read Next?

On Twitter yesterday, I asked for book ideas. I said:

Too many of the books I am reading are the easy, unsubstantive ones. Give me skill, style and meaning. Challenge me with authors long dead.
Suggestions flew in. Maybe you have ones to add to this. I should qualify this a little, as Twitter's 140 characters gave way quickly. Not every book I read is intellectually easy. I have recently read critical looks at poets, some poetry collections, and some nature guides. This isn't the same, though, as you'll see below, George Eliot's Middlemarch. I somehow dodged reading it in college, as I was, frankly, intimidated by it immensity.

I am suggesting dead authors only because I want to avoid the flavor of the week. Amy Tan is not challenging. I don't want to read some musing of how someone grew up. Few writers ever do that well, and Mark Twain is retired.

The political books listed in the NYT Bestseller list are lightweight (presently loaded with conservative writers, just as when Bush was president, it was loaded with liberal writers).

Summer's basically over. Toss the beachside reading aside.

Current Suggestions
  1. "Middlemarch" George Eliot
  2. "Anathem" Neal Stephenson
  3. "Sunnyside" Glen Gold
  4. "The Histories" Herodotus
  5. "Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church: A 2,000-Year History" Harry Crocker
  6. "Robin Hood" (who authored the book?)
  7. "A Thousand Years of Solitude" Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  8. "Valley of the Dolls" Jacquelyn Suzanne
  9. Specific books not indicated: Balzac, Colette, Graham Greene
Post a Comment