Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

10/14/09

"And the Band Played On: Temptations Ultimate Collection Greatest Hits CD review



The Ultimate Collection
The Ultimate Collection: Temptations CD

The first couplet of the first song begins:
You've got a smile so bright, you know you could've been a candle.
I'm holding you so tight, you know you could've been a handle.
Anyone who has heard of the Temptations knows those lines from their classic "The Way You Do the Things You Do." It is crisply sung, almost doo-wop. It never loses its poise or falls into cliche.

Most of these songs were hits. If the titles don't jar your memory, listen to the samples. Expect to know at least 10 of these.

A couple weak links are present in "Treat Her Like a Lady" and "Error of Our Ways." In these two songs, there's no funk, no soul, and no depth. Both are acceptable, as pop R&B, but are musically pallid when compared to "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" and "Ball of Confusion."

The liner notes provide a puffy history, and credits song-by-song. That's not why this is worth buying. It is the sheer cool class and sway of the Temptations greatest hits. A couple songs might be left off, but most are here.

I fully recommend "The Ultimate Collection" by the Temptations.

Anthony Trendl
"A brave effort at cramming one disc full of Temptations classics, The Ultimate Collection nevertheless makes a couple of puzzling choices. Why, for instance, include "Error of Our Ways," a very minor mid-'90s hit, and ignore "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" or "I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You)," both number ones from their classic period? Still, for the price, it's hard to argue with." --Rickey Wright
  1. Way You Do the Things You Do
  2. My Girl
  3. It's Growing
  4. Since I Lost My Baby
  5. Don't Look Back
  6. Get Ready
  7. Ain't Too Proud to Beg
  8. (I Know) I'm Losing You
  9. All I Need
  10. You're My Everything
  11. Angel Doll
  12. I Wish It Would Rain
  13. Cloud Nine
  14. I Can't Get Next to You
  15. Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)
  16. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
  17. Papa Was a Rolling Stone
  18. Shakey Ground
  19. Treat Her Like a Lady
  20. Error of Our Ways
  21. My Girl [Acappella][Excerpt]
Post a Comment