Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

2/2/10

They Would Not Let Me Vote Today (and a Republican Didn't Get My Vote?)

Today is voting day. Illinois Primaries. I tried to vote. I was denied at the polls the opportunity.

I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat. I'm not Green. I'm not communist. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not!

I'm not.

(Can't see bumper sticker on the top left? Click here.)
See where I'm going with this? I am not the member of a political party. Why not? Besides the fact that that party ideology can no longer be assumed (example: Scott Brown, the Republican in Massachusetts that may influence the Obama Health Care initiative, is pro-choice), the fighting between the two is horrid and ugly. Not just radio pundits and congressmen, but real people. I had two friends, one a lover of Obama and Democrats, and the other a Republican and hater of Obama, absolutely go postal on me when they realized I didn't embrace their views. Really. It was uuuggglee. Profanity, swearing, masculinity suggestions, and so on. Yeah, I'm a little sore from this still.

A recent workplace even had one coworker bitterly announce how bad President Obama was when arriving at work, with anti-Obama posters on their office door. It made things uncomfortable, to say the least.

Don't get me wrong. Some party members are some of my best friends. Good folks. Voting smart, even when we disagree. I live in a community that has a balanced block of voters. This year, my county was overwhelmingly for Obama, but could have just as easily gone to McCain. There is a misconception from people who don't live here what our community politics are, but, to DuPage County's credit, it is a broad-minded, diverse area filled with people not as closed-minded as those who presume otherwise.

What? I was denied the opportunity to vote?
Yes, it is true. I am properly registered, and otherwise legal to vote. This was not in question. I was at the right polling place, proper ID, and everything was in order. In fact, they said I was free to vote... if I chose a party.

I had a candidate I wanted to vote for. He happens to be Republican going for a largely apolitical position. I went to the polling place. I asked for a ballot. "Which party?" they asked. I said that I had no party. They said I could not vote unless I chose a party. I said I preferred not to. While I don't at all like the term 'Independent' since I have exact views, I suggested that. They said no, I couldn't do that either. They said that's how the primaries are done. I didn't dispute this. I am not as knowledgeable about the system as some.

Why? One reason is that they opposing party might gather its troops to vote for the weakest candidate, hoping he would win, making a victory by the other party more likely. It makes sense, but I don't like it.

About Election Signs
I will write more about this in the next election, but I greatly despise seeing all the political signs on public property. I don't like them elsewhere, but I believe a person is free to post whatever sign in their own yard.

Before the next election, I'll suggest to area editors that this needs to be written about. I'll be taking pictures and posting them here.

PrimariesI have never voted in a primary. I prefer, in general, for the wheat and chaff to sort itself out. As it turns out, just about every candidate I have been inclined to vote for lost in the primary, and not by a little.

reference: Politics in a Box: Why I Am Not a Republican, Why I Am Not a Democrat

About Obama
I watched the 2008 election. I voted heartily. I really liked Barack Obama. I think he's sincere and  wants a better America. I disagree with how he wants to get there. I realized (among many other issues), 1) he is adamantly pro-choice and more unborn children would be massacred on his watch with his approval 2) though he is pro-peace and desired to strategically pull soldiers out from the Middle East, I didn't believe he would actually do it (and now our defense budget is huge), and 3) I've seen national health care in a European country, and believe it injures society not helps, plus engages the American government into the lives and business of private citizens inappropriately.

As for his speeches, they are well-delivered. Some claim they are inspired by him, and my questions is always, "Inspired to do what?" I am still waiting for someone to answer with something more substantial than, "He makes me feel good." Good for him, but that's not inspiration. To be inspired means to have a new breath, or direction to act. If the answer was, say, "Help my neighbor," great! But unless you are actually doing something for your neighbor, then you aren't inspired. You are just talking.

McCain hardly thrilled me, mind you, so I was not happy that he was the only other candidate with an actual chance of winning.
Post a Comment