Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

4/27/10

No One is Praying for Anyone's Death

Does this Facebook group matter? Petition to remove facebook group praying for President Obama's death

Posters are ranging in their responses. Many are indignant. One person understands that freedom of speech allows this, though Facebook is free to do as they like in this regard.

Someone says it is a curse, not a prayer. In other words, it is meaningless.

Does God listen to prayers wishing death on someone? Or is this superstition?

Hate is involved, no question about it. The shape of hate might be couched in "I want what's best for my country," which roughly translates to, "And I personally want to see Obama die."

These are the same people with Obama dartboards. They might even be crying for a birth certificate, and name of his pet hamster. It is somewhat in response to the irresponsible twit who got this going, thinking it was funny (yes, they even used all CAPS): DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN

Me, I say:
The opposite of hate is not hate. This isn't really about how awful someone else is. It is easy for me to pontificate on a Facebook wall, but something altogether different to log off and pray. I didn't vote for President Obama, nor will I in 2012, but I need to pray for him, my freely elected leader.

Search Amazon.com for Barack Obama
Post a Comment