Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

5/15/10

Golgotha: Shadowing Steps: A Tragedy (spoken word)



This is the story of a man searching for God in his last moments as he is about to be executed. He is not innocent, but the guilt of the crime for which he will be killed is in question. Some people believe in him, others do not, and some have a job to do. There are those who love him, and those who hate him. Either way, the inevitable is at hand. He searches for God, but doesn't know where to look. He doesn't have long, but in minutes, he will know the answer.

As he walked the earth, his feet dragged into the dirt, and with each step, he was closer to the end. He made his own shadow, as we all do. But, he is not the only one making the shadows. He is not Jesus Christ, but he is not Satan, yet somehow, this is Golgotha.

Look into the eyes of a dying man, and wonder.

Set to Ravel's Bolero, in a piano duet by Jacques Fray, Mario Braggiotti. See my review.

I wrote this back in the late 1980s after listening to the full length version countless times, with my eyes closed, over several hours. After a few listens, it became a soundtrack to my imagination. I saw something between the guillotine scenes of Charles Dickens' Tale of Two Cities, Gary Gilmore's all too willing execution in Utah, and my imagined situation of a crucifixion on Golgotha (though not Christ's own, for he did not fight nor was guilty of sin), as well as the rants I have read about outside of well-known executions of John Wayne Gacy and others.

Perhaps none adequately describe what I saw. Gilmore, Gacy were both guilty. In the Dickens' book, it was a crime against the country they were accused, not rape or murder. Still, there are common threads throughout. There are the righteous, the self-righteous, the holy and unholy, the caring and uncaring, and all can be found on both sides of the platform.

What's the tragedy? I think I know, but I'm interested in your response. The answer might not be as obvious as you think.
Post a Comment