Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

7/24/10

Blockbuster, Bye-Bye. It Has Been 15 Good Years. Hello Netflix


Today, I will make the big jump and join Netflix. The Blockbuster I usually went to closed recently, and my favorite manager, Amanda, moved on to the non-Blockbuster world. She was friendly, helpful, suggested movies (we even agreed sometimes), and was gracious occasionally when my movie was late.

The Blockbuster I now go to doesn't have an Amanda. There's one guy who is from the old store, and an comfortable to work with as her, but overall, my experience there has stunk. Most recently, when I was returning a copy of -- of -- hmm. I can't remember. Oh, wait. The Transformers. The first one. They were filming the third one in Chicago, near where I live, and I realized I had never seen it. Not bad.

Anyway, as I returned it, I was whacked with a late fee. I was a day late, and they had until recently a seven-day grace period. They changed it. I asked about this, and the cashier sniped about how it is still cheaper than Redbox or Netflix. Sniping is bad form. I lost it. I left, though holding my cool throughout, since the cashier didn't change the late fee rule himself, and who knows why he was a jerk. Blockbuster changed the rule, and foolishly hired him.

Now, I am looking at Netflix. Presently, they have three plans. The $8.99 version will likely be the choice. Our TV isn't Netflix-ready, but our computer can handle a little. Now that I'm thinking of it, I might upgrade the bandwidth with ATT to better accommodate this indulgence.

I wavered between Blockbuster's and Netflix's borrow-by-mail program, but, come on, Blockbuster has ticked me off, and, not one review has suggested they have a better by-mail system than Netflix. Blockbuster is bound to go bankrupt any day now, and I will need to switch eventually.

Sure, I'll keep my Blockbuster card. Emergencies happen. First, I'll try to stream from Netflix. Then, try my public library. Then, the community library. Then, maybe a friend has the movie I can borrow. If all else fails, Blockbuster might get another rental from me.

Picked up my Blockbuster card in 1995, I think. Hard to say. I rarely rented in the beginning, then, went in waves. Now, the cost to rent is high, so I pulled back except for movies that genuinely seemed interesting. They hardly had the older movies, except for the biggest of big black and whites. What won't Netflix have?

Unlimited Plans
$8.99 a month
1 DVD out at-a-time
(Exchange each DVD as often as you want)
plus
Instantly watch online on your PC or Mac or right on your TV via an Internet connected Netflix ready device. Instantly watch as often as you want, anytime you want.
$13.99 a month
2 DVDs out at-a-time
(Exchange each DVD as often as you want)
plus
Instantly watch online on your PC or Mac or right on your TV via an Internet connected Netflix ready device. Instantly watch as often as you want, anytime you want.
$16.99 a month
3 DVDs out at-a-time
(Exchange each DVD as often as you want)
plus
Instantly watch online on your PC or Mac or right on your TV via an Internet connected Netflix ready device. Instantly watch as often as you want, anytime you want.

With Netflix there are no due dates or late fees! Streaming movies instantly. Plus DVDs by mail.

The video below has nothing to do with Netflix, but as I titled this post, I couldn't help but think of the Honeymooners scene when Ralph Kramden is learning to golf. Ed Norton, his best pal, shows him how to address the ball. "Hello, ball!" One of the funniest TV scenes ever. Enjoy.
Post a Comment