Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

7/13/10

RIP George Steinbrenner: He Knew Baseball

Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of BaseballI've watched baseball all of my life. George Steinbrenner owned the Yankees for most of it, beginning when I was six. Unfortunately, I grew up in White Sox territory, and until recently, we stunk. The Yankees were always near the top. Tough time to be in the American League for a White Sox fan.

 
I wasn't born early enough to see the 1959 White Sox. I had Bill Melton, Dick Allen, Bill Veeck (rhymes with wreck), Oscar Gamble, Rickie Zisk and Eric Soderholm when I was a boy. Other guys, like Harold Baines, excelled later. The Yankees always had Steinbrenner, and sometimes, Billy Martin.

RIP George Steinbrenner. Your teams almost always were better than my team.

 
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/sports/baseball/14steinbrenner.html
Post a Comment