Who do I credit with this recipe? Not my mom. I think she swiped it from a woman down the street who made them for her family. (Update: from Mrs. Hinz.) When I was in kindergarten at Chippewa Elementary, we had a cookbook made of all the favorite family recipes of the kids in my class. A few recipes stood out as new Trendl family favorites. This remains the best of the best, as far as I'm concerned.
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup lt. brown sugar
2/3 cup regular sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mashed ripe banana
Then sift together and add:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 package chocolate chips (you use around 6 oz.)
Grease and lightly flour a jelly roll pan (10 x 15 approximately).
Bake at 350 for 20-35 minutes until it becomes golden and begins to shrink.
Cool 15 minutes, then cut and enjoy.
Keep covered after cutting.
General baking products to keep you cookin'
If everything works right, some of what is below will be a link directly to Amazon.com. Otherwise, just copy/paste into the search box on the left.
- Baking: From My Home to Yours
- Baking at Home with The Culinary Institute of America
- The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry, 4th Edition
- The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old-Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
- Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft
- Professional Baking
- The Secrets of Baking: Simple Techniques for Sophisticated Desserts
- King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains
- Small-Batch Baking
- Gluten-Free Baking Classics
- Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters: More than 100 Years of Recipes Discovered
- Artisan Baking
- Bob's Red Mill Baking Book: More Than 400 Recipes Featuring Whole and Healthy Grains
- The Martha Stewart Cooking Collection - Martha's Baking Favorites
- Baking Boot Camp: Five Days of Basic Training at The Culinary Institute of America
- Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of (Lansky, Vicki)
- The No-Salt, Lowest-Sodium Baking Book
- Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
- Matfer Exopat 11-5/8-by-16-3/8-Inch Nonstick Baking Sheet
- How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
- Baking Powder, Gluten Free, Sodium Free, 8 oz.
- Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix, 4-Pound Bags (Pack of 3)
- Betty Crocker Baking for Today: Always in Style, Always Gold Medal
- Understanding Baking
- Professional Baking, Student Workbook
republished post from Jan 17, 2008