Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

11/18/10

Political Conversation

You Know You're a Republican/Democrat If..., 2EOne thing I have noticed among friends regarding how they discuss politics. Either they preach to the choir or howl at the unconvertable.

Preaching to the choir has a self-indulgence to it, as if the other person's affirmation will justify their opinion.

Howling at the unconvertable is equally a self-indulgent act. Why bother? It creates a kind of "I'm better than you," division among friends.

Once, I had a coworker so obsessed with anti-Obama tirading, it made my work circumstance unbearable. I have another friend who is so anti-Palin, I feel anxiety just listening to her.

Rarely, do I encounter friends discussing issues, or tolerating uncertainity.

Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters

Going Rogue: An American Life

Decision Points









Post a Comment