Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

5/17/12

Looking for a Literary Agent

I've just begun this journey of agent-hunting. Received my first true rejection 45 minutes ago for a picture book. Technically, it is my second rejection, as one agent emailed quickly back explaining her client base is packed. Either way, neither accepted me. So, here I am, trying to learn what I missed.

Today's email: "Thank you for your query. Unfortunately, your manuscript doesn't sound like something that’s right for us. We wish you the best of success in placing your work elsewhere."

I do have a spreadsheet. I have the Guide to Literary Agents. I drink espresso all morning while looking for places to query. Surely I am in a good position to find some love with a New York agent.

Seriously, I am trying to be methodical and strategic. I have a growing social media infrastructure, website, and otherwise a strong online presence. I expect rejections; I only need one to accept me. But I also know the road only begins with the agent, as they now have the task of shopping my wares about. Learning the craft of the query, matched by a quality piece of marketable writing is the beast before me.

If there are any agents (or publishers) out looking for clients, drop me a line. I am a shameless self-promoter with a Dorothy Parker wit (and I'm not even half her age). Google me to see how true this is (the self-promotion part, at any rate).

Anthony Trendl Facebook Author Page

Discuss books, ideas, literature, art, tall tales, short tales and cattails. See the ordinary in an extraordinary way. Fans of Twain, Kipling, Thurber will find this a friendly place. From the quirky to the funny to the unbelievable.
Post a Comment