Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

11/6/14

Thinking About Space Oddity by David Bowie

David Bowie has found his way into my ears. "Ground Control to Major Tom... take your protein pills and put your helmet on..." You know the rest. Some of you are already looking for it on Spotify or YouTube.

I've known this song for 35 years. It, along with Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, was one of my first favorite songs. I don't know when I first heard it, but it has always haunted me. First, it occasionally popped up on the radio, then I bought the cassette, and now, listen to a digital version off a playlist.

Of course it haunted me. A guy becomes so fascinated with space travel, or intoxicated by it, that he decides to disconnect from Ground Control, and fly freely. He knows the implications of this choice are eventually dire. He's left the Earth and isn't coming back. He sends a message back to his wife that he loves her.

That's heavy.

Chris Hadfield -- he's a real live astronaut -- took a different take on the song. In fact, he recorded actually in space. Real space, not just high up in a special plane. Take a look, listen to the rewritten lyrics.

Post a Comment