Speechwriting: Corporate, Weddings, Retirement

12/30/14

Ideas Abound: What I Do

Many writers have more ideas than they have time to execute.

Am I the only one? I don't think so.

I keep a running list of sentences, paragraphs and ideas that I might want to use later. I mean my stuff, not quotes and things.

It is no help that inspiration happens at inconvenient times. You know what I'm saying, right? A good idea is, as you know. a terrible thing to waste.

It is pretty simple. I keep it easily accessible in the cloud, able to be edited from any device (except Kindle, unfortunately). I use Google Docs. It is a basic, numbered list. Some items might have 500 words, and others might have just a few words.

Once I use an item, I delete lest I accidentally use it a second time. How awkward would be if a reader was reading something of mine and thought, "Great line. Where have I read that before?"

There's nothing complicated about Google Docs. It functions much like Microsoft Word. Word is ultimately more sophisticated and has its place in a writer's life, but mostly, I use Docs. It is free, and I can even write with it on my Android.

If you have a Gmail account, you already have a Google account. Take a look at Google Drive. It is somewhere between DropBox and Microsoft Office.

Similarly, when an idea gets big enough, it gets its own file. Nothing may come of it, but it is always there, like Ahab's white whale, beckoning me.

Post a Comment